WALMART IS THE LARGEST RECIPIENT OF PUBLIC AID IN THE COUNTRY
Posted On: November 28th, 2012Source: http://www.rawstory.com
Representative-elect Alan Grayson (D-FL) said Monday that he will put mega-retailer Walmart squarely in his sights during the next Congress for the companys liberal use of public assistance programs to supplement their workers wages.
Speaking to Current TV host Cenk Uygur on Mondays episode of The Young Turks, Grayson called Walmart the largest recipient of public aid in the country, saying their low wages force workers to take food stamps, housing assistance and Medicaid just to get by.
The taxpayer pays for the earned income credit, he said. The taxpayer pays for Medicaid. The taxpayer pays for unemployment insurance when they cut hours down. And the taxpayer pays for other forms of public assistance like food stamps. I think the taxpayer is getting fed up of paying these things when, in fact, Walmart could give every employee its got, even the CEO, a 30 percent raise and still be profitable.
He added that while the health care mandate in the Affordable Care Act will help, thats just the start.
In state after state after state, Walmart employees represent the largest group of Medicaid recipients, the largest group of food stamp recipients, and taxpayers should not have to bear that burden, Grayson said. It should be Walmart. So, we’re going to take that burden and put it where it belongs: on Walmart.
Grayson, an outspoken progressive, was ousted from his congressional seat in 2010s tea party wave. He regained a seat this November following redistricting in the state that put him in a more heavily Democratic district.
Top Posts & Pages
- WW 2: The only two Christian cities in Japan BOMBED with Atomic Bombs
- Compact Flourescent Bulbs: More Dirty Electricity AND N-E-G-A-T-I-V-E Health impacts
- Adam Weishaupt
- Smart meter blamed for hike in bill (East Vancouver)
- Smart Meter keeps on Charging
- ITRON: Next generation of Smart "Gas" Meters .
- RE: SMART METERS .........a letter YOU can sign and send :
- Quote: ” Our race is the Master Race"...........
- Dubious Degree : Douglas College Fraud
- ICBC cuts management staff