Whistleblower Engineer reported flaws in Smart Meters causing danger and fire:
( NOTE: Submitted to me )
In Alabama in 2009, a Sensus engineering employee named Don Baker was fired for repeatedly alerting his management to the presence of a multitude of dangerous defects in the smart meter they were manufacturing (model iConA ). As he states in the complaint he filed, this whistleblower reported serious flaws in design and functioning that could lead to electrical danger, overheating, and/or fire. In fact, the failure rate of the meters was twenty times higher than it was supposed to be, and the engineer contends that at least two house fires were the result. Sensus meters are used by utilities across the U.S. and in Canada, such as PECO, Alliant Energy, Alabama Power, and NVE.
In May 2010, Mr. Baker filed a complaint [PDF] The type of suit is called “qui tam”, where an individual alleges harm to his government. This complaint alleges that the manufacturer and the utility companies received federal monies but provided a defective product. The U.S. Attorney’s office in Alabama declined to pursue the case, because the utility said they had not received federal money for the metering project; but the allegations about the dangerous defects in the smart meters made in the complaint have not been refuted or even addressed.
What was technically wrong with the smart meters that Sensus was producing? The suit alleges four categories of defects and failures:
1) Electrical Fast Transient Failures;
2) Flux Contamination and Inaccuracy Issues;
3) Faulty Components; and
4) **Hot Meters.** These technical issues are explained here.